Working closely with clients’ needs, the methods we use combined, with real-world field experience, allows our consultants to optimize the design and achieve the best possible balance between safety and economy.
There has long been a requirement in hazardous industries to provide safety measures for the protection of plants and personnel. One means of detecting containment loss relates to the use of fire and gas detection equipment. Often referred to as pioneers in the field of ‘Fire and Gas Mapping,’ Micropack has been at the forefront of the industry since the late 1990s.
This practice, through performance/ risk-based design, improves safety and reduces operating costs by ensuring that the number of devices used is minimised while the required level of safety is maintained. Micropack Engineers are respected globally as having trusted expert knowledge in F&G design.
Our team of consultants can advise
on matters such as:
- Designing optimised fire and gas detector layouts
- Performance target definition
- Recommend appropriate alarm, control actions and voting
- Conduct site surveys
- Review third party designs
- Training, 3rd party accredited course
- Support for other design consultancies
- Use of HazMap3D F&G mapping software
- Testing of 3rd party detectors
- Recommend detector selection (technology/type)
Five-Step Process of Fire & Gas Mapping
Define Project Rules
- F&G Philosophy / Standard to be used
- Define Performance Targets
- Gather site/process-specific information
- Identify areas of concern
- Identify hazard/risk scenarios
- Determine consequences
- Determine hazard frequency
- Determine unmitigated hazard/risk
First Pass Design
- Grade process Equipment Based on Risk
- Add Detectors
- Verify Detector Coverage
- Relocate/ Add devices until the design meets
- Engineering review of adequacy based on risk analysis
- Publish report with recommendations
The use of fire and gas mapping clearly defines the risk and the precautions needed to be able to detect fires and gas releases.
The methods used allow the designer to optimize the design and achieve the best possible balance between safety and economy.
This practice improves safety and reduces operating costs by ensuring that the number of devices used is minimized while the required level of safety is maintained. All responsible fire and gas detector manufacturers should offer this service.
Other Services We Offer
ISA TR 84 Hazard Detection Review
A BS60080:2020 Hazard Detection Review details coverage, placement, and type of flame and gas detectors...Read more
Beacon & Sounder Coverage Review
Micropack can design and optimise sounder and beacon design based on background noise levels and...Read more
Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling - CFD
MICROPACK fluid and fire dynamics engineers use a range of computer models to solve complex flow problems...Read more